I have made another attempt to explain the truth in simple English in Plain Truths blog. Some of the readers suggested me to provide some scriptural statements supporting these posts. So, I have written Yoga Vedanta blog that gives references to the words of Lord.

I am currently studying Yoga VaasishTa and make few posts to the blog on wordpress.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Why? What? Who?

I have seen this question "Why?" many times in many contexts. But when we discuss about the subject of "Know yourself" the very first question generally asked is "Why?"

People say "I know myself, I am so and so, I am happy with this knowledge, I am what I am, I know everything about myself, WHY should I try to KNOW which is obvious? WHY?"

When I ask my seven year old daughter, "who are you?"
she will reply "I am your daughter"
then I ask her "From when?"
she would reply "From dd-mm-yyyy (her birthday)"
then I ask her "what were you before that?"
she thinks for a while and asks me
"who were you before you were born?" and asserts me that she was same as I was before we both were born.

See the implication here.
I was not who I am now, my daughter was not who she is now but we are same before we were born.....

then

WHO AM "I"? (that I before we were born)

If someone thinks birth is the beginning and death is the ending and there is nothing before the birth and nothing after the death then:
what are you for your great grandfather?
Is there a relation or not?

That is why one should know the real "I" (the self)

In Brihadaranyaka Upanisad sage Yajnavalkya says to his wife Maitrayi:

Ātmᾱ vᾱ are draṣṭavyaḥ śrotavyo mantavyo nididhyᾱsitavyaḥ: "O, Maitreyī, it is the Ātman that is to be beheld; it is the Ātman that is to be known; it is the Ātman that is to be searched for; it is the Ātman which is to be heard about; it is the Ātman which is to be thought in the mind; it is the Ātman which is to be meditated upon. There is nothing else worthwhile thinking, nothing else worthwhile possessing, because nothing worthwhile exists, other than This."

Om Tat Sat.

Yajnavalkya Jayanti - 05-November-2008

1 comment:

Rishi said...

Dear Prasad, Thanks for such a nice blog on spirutuality. Thanks for showing the light and right direction.
Thanks and Regards
Rishi